02 December 2010

Announcement! I has one!

Yes! I can finally let the cat out of the bag of awesomeness that is good news. (And it's a good thing, too. TyGrr was starting to growl at me in a way that said, "Let me out of this bag, bitch, or I will cut up your face.")



So, as you may know, I started querying the zombie novel on October 1st. I sent a batch of 10 query letters and chapters of varying lengths as per submission requirements. Et voila! The games began. Thanks to the wonders of the digital age, I got my first form rejection in 12 minutes flat! (New record!)

Just sos you know, I'm no stranger to rejection. I have a stack from a previous opus with every stock line imaginable. But, I found comfort in the symmetry of it all. The first rejection I received on that last work (and my first ever) came from the same agent who first rejected THIS project. So, that was good times.

Within a few hours of my opening salvo, I had one more rejection and a form letter thanking me for my submission, I'd hear from them if they were interested. So, you can imagine my surprise when a few hours later had I gotten my first request. Not just any request, the mother load: an agent was asking me for a Full. After some amount of bouncery, I got my shit together, dotted my i's, crossed my fingers and sent off the whole novel to Interested Agent.

Then, waiting. More waiting. Antsy waiting and angst and "oh, she'll hate it!" thoughts. This is one of the drawbacks of the digital age. I can get hard and fast rejection in less time than it takes to boil an egg, but feedback on a full still takes precious time. (As well it should, but you see how an impatient Aries such as myself would whine.)

Fast forward to October 13. The kiddo and I went to a friend's house to make cupcakes and have some play time while the husband stayed home sick and killed naughty pixels. When I got home I had a message from  Interested Agent.  Google taunted me with a peek. "So, after reading the book..."

Here it comes, I thought. The let down. The infamous, "Truth be told, your work is not right for my list at this time, but this business is subjective. Good luck placing your work elsewhere."


Then I read the first sentence in full.

"Oh shit," I said.

Sean perked up from across the room. "What?" he asked. "What's wrong?" He came up behind me and read over my shoulder. "Oh.... wow."

It was an email saying that she loved it. She wanted to set up a phone call to discuss it.

I started laughing and crying and hugging Sean and bouncing around my house. Once I got my shit together, I sent my response and set up a time for a phone call. (Heh, funny sidenote: I didn't get all of my shit together. See, I pop my professional--read, writerly--emails into my personal box so that I don't have to constantly switch back and forth. Well, I'd forgotten to switch OUT of my personal inbox to respond to the agent in question. Thankfully, my private email isn't something like FluffySexBunny2000 or BieberAddict, and said agent pretended not to notice.)

But I digress. Phone call was set up for the 18th and I did more waiting. Many thanks to my friends who put up with me constantly asking, "Is it Monday yet?!"  So, October 18 (also my writing buddy Jesse's birthday, woot!) finally rolls around and at the predetermined time, I got The Call. Interested Agent and I talked. She gave me some feedback on the manuscript, asked me a few things. I asked her some questions. And by the end of the call, I had an offer for representation.

Long story short... I accepted, signed contracts and spent some time working on my agent's edit notes and melting my brain. Now we're ready to take the next step.

This is a dream of mine, here. Being a published author? I've wanted this since I was in single digits! I am closer to realizing this dream than I was to becoming a Blue Man! (Ponder that.) Still a lot to do before I see my name on a bookshelf. That's okay. I can wait. But for now...My name is Jamie Wyman. I am an author and I am represented by Elizabeth Jote of Objective Entertainment.

*squee*

EDITED 10 July, 2011 - I am no longer represented by Ms. Jote or anyone else. Rough situation, details are here for all who wish to know them. I wish Ms. Jote well and understand that she may have had her reasons for behaving as she did. I chose to leave Objective Entertainment 3 June, 2011. As of this post I am seeking representation with another agency. 

1 comment:

Marisa et al said...

this is beyond AWESOME! I LOVE YOU AUTHOR!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...