24 June 2011

Pride

6/24/11 - Empire State Building
Today, with a vote of 33 to 29, New York recognized that same sex couples deserve all of the rights hetero couples have in terms of marriage.

I'm so damn ecstatic! I want to run outside, dance and hug people. Strangers. I don't give a shit. I'll hug the homeless guy who smells like cheap gin and feet. I'm just that fucking happy.

"But, Jamie," you say, "aren't you a married woman living in Arizona? What does this have to do with you?"

Why yes, gentle reader, I am married and living in a place that is not New York, but that's not the point, is it? Yes, I'm married to a man, but that's just dumb luck. I happened to find what I want in another human being, in a partner, in someone who happens to be a man. Lucky for us.

The reason I'm so happy about this vote...it's a step in the right direction. These stupid labels people have concocted--gay, straight, bi, black, Christian, white, Atheist--these have all been lines drawn specifically to segregate. All of these labels remove humanity from the equation, and thus, equality is removed from humanity.

I am proud that fellow human beings are closer to getting rid of the bullshit. I am proud that my friends who are gay can finally (FINALLY) express their love not just to their friends and family, but legally before God and Country as well. (Or at least State. For now.) I am thrilled that we're closer to realizing that "gay marriage" is not some poison in the well of our society. This is just one more step toward a world that I'd feel okay sending my daughter into. Whomever she turns out to be, she should never be told who she can or cannot love.

New York...freaking NEW YORK! You did it! I hope that the "Big Gay Steamroller" can spread that pride over the country. I hope people here in Arizona get to experience this elation first hand. Soon. We're still working on it. But we're WORKING. and WE will get there. All of us.

Hail to all of us! (Have a safe and happy Pride, y'all.)

Boomde-motherfucking-yada!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...