16 September 2011

Draft Zero

Four weeks ago I started writing the rough draft of my new book. It's the first in a 6-book arc that I'm calling Etudes in C#. Well, today I finished draft zero of "Technical Difficulties". It came in short on words (just under 60k), but the basic story is there. And that's what matters.

Everything I write teaches me something. There have been several lessons with this one, but the biggest, most prominent truth I've learned on this one? TELL THE DAMN STORY! I usually have a horrible time getting a rough draft out into the world because it's hard to give up editorial control in the name of telling a story. I have a hard time allowing myself to suck.

Right now, though, the zero draft is done. It's not pretty. It's got a few thin places, it's got some glitches and kinks...but it's done. I told the story.

Story is king.

And now, I'm going to enjoy some Dr. Who and dark chocolate to celebrate.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Whoo hoo! Celebrating with you! It's such a great feeling when you finish a draft, no matter how many words.

Kelsey
www.kelseysutton.blogspot.com

lejonprime said...

woot. Now, the fun part... um... editing...

It is likely that your draft will get much larger.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...