15 November 2012

Practical Magic

Serendipity of Clan Tynker
So, back in 1999, my mother and I sat down one lazy weekend and made our very own pouches of Faerie Dust. No joke. I still have mine and I'm pretty sure my mother still has hers. We even stitched together the little bags ourselves. The ingredients were oddly precise for something so random. I can't tell you what all went into hers and I won't divulge all that I poured into mine. While there are some universal components, each recipe will change depending on who is making it. After all, my juju is not the same as yours and would make a terrible spell for you to carry around.

That afternoon we wove magic in a very odd way for two grown women. We played. We imagined. We created our own secret recipes for a talisman of sorts, a bit of whimsical power we could carry with us wherever we went. We laughed, we hugged. And I know I won't forget that. I was 19 and playing in a very pure way with my mother. Those bags are still with us...even after multiple moves and disastrous floods.

So you can imagine my concern when my 7 year old daughter came to me today and told me that one of her imaginary fairy friends was out of dust. There's only one thing you can do then... make more.

So, after dinner, K and I got together the necessary ingredients. Again, I will not tell all of the family secrets of our Faerie Dust, however, there are some things that are basic.

Start with a pouch, something that can be closed tightly and that will not spill. So, nothing gauzy. Fill the pouch about half way with fine grain sand from your local craft store. They have some that sparkles, too, so it's even better for this. Add glitter. The amount added and the color(s) used are entirely at the maker's discretion. For girls, also add a spoonful of sugar and spice (your choice as to which, but cinnamon is a good  option).

Then, fill it with the things that are magical to you. Love, music, the warmth of a campfire, a kitten's pur, a spider's web, starlight. Whatever.

Finally, you will need to clap, giggle into the bag and add something jingly. Tie it up, stitch it shut and you've got yourself a bag of Faerie Dust. Keep it safe and keep it closed. The Faeries who need it will come get it in their own way and it won't lose any of its magic.

It took us less than 20 minutes to make K's bag...and yet, there was some powerful mojo in such a small time. I love moments like that.

I hope she does, too.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

And that is one of the things I love about you.... And hopefully K will ways remember that magic.

'Vhildr said...

Oh dear. Why do your personal posts always need to be so damn touching? *angrily wipes a single, stray tear from her cheek and goes back to being tough and cheerful, dammit.* ;)

Jamie Wyman said...

It's a gift. ;) Seriously, though, I don't set out to make people cry, it just happens.

OH! And I found out that my mom's Faerie dust did NOT survive the flood in '08, so we're making more this week. *bounce*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...