28 January 2013

Forget Regret?


Watch 1994 Madison Scouts in Music  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

That right there? That video was the first exposure I ever had to Drum Corps. Some Friday night in October '95 I was sitting in the high school band room. (Go Ben Davis Marching Giants! Animals Forever!) Anyway, twas the night before State Finals and the drumline was busy changing out drum heads, wrapping sticks with tape, tuning the drums, making them sparkle and shine for the big show the following night. Someone put on a video of Drum Corps International finals from the previous year and that served as background noise to our regular chatter and the thumping/hacking of high school drummers.

I didn't notice anything on the tv until ^THAT^ appeared on screen. If you watch the above video, you might understand why at 3:20 the entire room back in '95 stopped what it was doing and stared. It's been a long time since that night. I've seen and done a lot of things in the last 18 years (dear gods, 18 years?!), but I remember the electric awe of that moment. Cymbals, snares and holy god! My jaw was on the floor, and it certainly wasn't the only one. We begged our band directors, our percussion instructor... we hounded them. Please can we do that? Teach us. Can we do it? Please!! 

I said to my percussion instructor, "I want to do that!"
"You and everyone else," he slurred.
"No, not just the stunts, but THAT. What is that?"
"Drum Corps. That's the Madison Scouts."
"I want to do that. I want to be in that group."
"You can't," he said. "You're a girl. They don't let girls into the Scouts. Men only."
"Are there Drums Corps that let girls in?" I asked. "I want to do it!"

He never responded.

I never did Drum Corps.

You know how people always say, "If I knew then what I know now?" or they talk about the one that got away? Drum Corps is my white whale. For years I thought it was something I couldn't have. A teacher told me I couldn't. By the time I realized he was wrong--that I was wrong--and learned how to audition, and had the confidence to do it... I was too old. There's an age limit and I'd exceeded it. I'd waited too long to even try.

I learned from that mistake. This might be why I look fear square in the yellow eyes and say, "Fuck off, I'm doing this!" I don't want to run out of time waiting to be better, stronger, the stars to align or other such rot. I take the shots I'm given even if it's foolish to do so.

If I knew then, though... I totally would've done it. I would've auditioned for every corps I could find.

But I didn't.

I can't tell you how many speed limits I broke listening to that show (particularly with the soul-piercing trumpet at 10:53. Gah! Love it!!) I know that it's been a long time and people have improved upon drill and stunts and all sorts of other things that make this video chump change to some people. But for me, when I see it or hear it, I'm still 15 and wrapping my bass drum mallets with tape...my jaw on the floor.

Damn I love that show. 

2 comments:

Jessica Schley said...

SO much love for this post.

And I'm so sorry you didn't get to do DCI. I'm a saxophone, so I never even considered it, but I was a "drumline widow" in college to a guy who first played cymbals and then was drum major of Glassmen.

I keep wanting to write a book about DCI. Maybe someday.

Jamie Wyman said...

I knew a few people who marched Glassmen, Southwind and Pioneer. Good stories. If you write a DCI book, maybe you should tour with a corps for a season... you know. As research. You might need to do 2 though... one of the co-ed ones (like Blue Devils) and an all-male (Cavaliers). Yeah. That's what I'd do. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...